+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I found a free penguin costume

I suppose there is a first time for everything , after tightening my windows registry I found new motivation to see what Linux could be all about. I had actually wanted to try Fedora in the past after reading positive remarks about it.

I suppose it's sort of skipping some of the rougher times unix / linux have had, but this is cooler than I thought it would be; Especially for a free O/S

I've just been trying to figure out how to get my routing tables right now. I remember this stuff being important in my H/s networking course, but we used to just play lan games all day instead of learn back then

"Aw Cool"

And if you're not happy with Fedora there are a couple of more distros definitely worth a try.

The advantage with Fedora is that you have RedHat backing them up, but I would also recommend Ubuntu if you're still not certain.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, it's always nice to see another person find the light

//Andreas
    "I'm sort of a postmodern vegetarian, I eat meat ironically"
    "You are our Swedish superhero "

Forget everything, knowledge is your enemy, it's only going to make you second-guess yourself."

Cool.

I'm kind of distrohopping myself now. Might go for Ubuntu 8.10 when it gets released later this month.
    Open Source > *

Quote Originally Posted by fackamato
    Cool.

I'm kind of distrohopping myself now. Might go for Ubuntu 8.10 when it gets released later this month.

... aaaand the release candidate for 8.10 is out. Currently running it on my laptop, works very well. (8.04 worked as well, though)

Nothing I can complain about so far, except that I can feel the need for a SSD
    Open Source > *

We all feel that need

//Andreas

Forget everything, knowledge is your enemy, it's only going to make you second-guess yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by Delph1
    We all feel that need

//Andreas
    Don't know about that really... Running Vista with the swap file on my IRAM, works quite neatly. Not like running the entire OS on it, but still pretty nice.
    Man, or woman, or both?
    Grandis spiritus, sanctus diavolos

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Delph1
    We all feel that need

//Andreas
    Don't know about that really... Running Vista with the swap file on my IRAM, works quite neatly. Not like running the entire OS on it, but still pretty nice.
    Yea, OK, you have found a decent solution there

//Andreas

I played with it a while, and have been looking at some other options in that area, I might play with the web hosting idea again. Lately I've been spending my time reading a book on OpenGL

Found a Huge Stack of free books to go with it

I want to try and work them in with the next semester

Cool, always nice to see more people discovering Linux

//Andras

Ya, I got my firewall working now, learned to MASQ the backwards way I think, perhaps the best way to learn

Haha, yea, I think I did that too

//Andreas

Hmmmm, it looks even prettier than Kubuntu..... Really should figure out how to use it one of these days.
    AMD AMD Phenom II 955 BE w/ Xigmatek S1283 Red Scorpion HSF, Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P MB
    8GB DDR3 1600 G.Skill NQ RAM, 64GB G.Skill Falcon SSD, 1.5TB Samsung Silencer Series HDD, ATI Radeon HD4850 w/ AC Accelero S1 Cooling + 92mm fan
    Coolermaster Sileo 500 Case + Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Whisper Quiet Computing.....

Quote Originally Posted by mjw21a
    Hmmmm, it looks even prettier than Kubuntu..... Really should figure out how to use it one of these days.
    Kubuntu is probably the worst KDE distribution out there. I hear openSUSE is supposed to be "the" KDE distribution at the moment
    Open Source > *

Actually the latest flavor of Kubuntu is quite nice, but still far worse than Ubuntu or other KDE distributions.

//Andreas