+ Reply to Thread

XP Pro installaton...

Hi.
    I've recently got my self a new computer. a shuttle..
    and ive burned an xp-cd to re-install it, and also formate one of my partiotions....
    the installation works fine.... and when i reach "preparing installation", and when thats done, the computer reboots, and the screen stays black.
    The computer is still working, but even if i leave it like that for over an hour, nothing happens...

what am i doing wrong?[/b]

Hi!

Try to take out the XP-CD from your computer.

Can't come up with something else right now :)

hmm... ive tried to restart the installation, several times, with no result...
    and every time i start my computer, i have like 3 seconds to chose, wheter it should start in normal xp-mode
    or start in the windows xp installation-mode

ive also tried to chose the installation mode, with the cd ofcourse.... but no result here....

perhaps i should try to install another OS, like 2000? Me? whatever... and then "update" to XP, when one of my partitions are cleaned....?

just a question..... what kind of harddrive are you running Windows on?

I had som problem with my maxtor, the damn things F*cks up when you try to OC your system.
    If that's not so then I can only see that it's the copy of WinXp that's causing trouble.

I've come across several WinXp and 2k copies that don't seem to work....
    i could be an easy change in BIOS or your cd could be damaged.

Whalen =.=
    Whalen's got:
    Abit IT7 MAX
    Pentium 4 2.8 @ 3.25
    1024 DDR ram
    Zalman 7000a-cu
    Western Digital 80,120,200 gb harddrives
    Powercolor 9800pro 128mb
    with a Zalman 80hp-c
    Thermtake Butterfly 480w psu
    Zalman 6 channel fan controller

And all of it in a Cheiftec Fulltower

We do not accept warez in this forum (your copied CD's). Try again with an original Windows XP CD, or whatever OS of your choice
    Open Source > *

i am using a seagate.... whattevver... thanks. ill try with another XP-CD....

XP installation solution

When you burn a copy of the Windows XP Pro disc, it changes a file or two. You have to copy the image to your drive, change the file, then burn to CD. You figure the rest out.

Have you downloaded from Seagate's homepage the Seagate Disc Wizard 2003 as that actually allows you to choose from what operating system you intend to load then it will partition & format it for you automatically because Windows XP Home/Pro's own FDISK command does NOT recognise very large hard drives and so you have to use Seagates own software due to FDISK command being so old !

Seagates Disc Wizard 2003 is burned to a CD-R and is only 7.4Mb in size and then boot the computer up with that disc in the drive and it will begin process automatically for you and it is so easy to use and here's the link below for it;

http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html

Quote Originally Posted by scotsman36
    Have you downloaded from Seagate's homepage the Seagate Disc Wizard 2003 as that actually allows you to choose from what operating system you intend to load then it will partition & format it for you automatically because Windows XP Home/Pro's own FDISK command does NOT recognise very large hard drives and so you have to use Seagates own software due to FDISK command being so old !

Seagates Disc Wizard 2003 is burned to a CD-R and is only 7.4Mb in size and then boot the computer up with that disc in the drive and it will begin process automatically for you and it is so easy to use and here's the link below for it;

http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html
    Or one can realise that FDISK does no longer exist :P
    Use Window's own partitioning software. (or cfdisk) ;P
    Open Source > *

Yes, FDISK does exist but there is varying version of it and if his version of Windows XP Pro does NOT include service pack 1 then that FDISK program will not be able to partition it to the full capacity of the hard disk !

So it's best use Seagate's own Disk Wizard 2003 as it is more user friendly for partition and formating.