+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Project "Sneaky Beast"

As you can guess I'm trying to build a system that without any details sounds mediocore...

But as the parts list biulds up, that's looking harder and harder to do...

so far this is what I got in mind...

Bolded parts have arrived:

Pentium M 70 dothan @2.6Ghz
    Asus CT-479 socket converter
    Asus P4P800 SE S478 mobo w/ AGP
    GF4 MX440 [ATI X8xx series card either Pro or XT (X800 or X850) to come later]
    6GB Quantum Fireball (Slowest part in the machine... 1500 in PCMark04)
    Zalman CNPS9500 HSF w/ TT thunderblade 78CFM fan as rear exhaust and intake
    512MB of OCZ PC3700 (other stick comes when I get 2GB kit for my A64)

NO LONGER TRUE: but the kicker is it's goin into a POS hastily customized case (total hack job for front intake, 120mm rear exhaust, and 80mm side intake... IT'S SOOOOOOO BAD)

NO LONGER TRUE EITHER: Cooler Master Centurion 5 w/ 500W PSU (28A on 12V)

NOW: Aerocool Masstige

EDIT: UPDATED PARTS LIST (Again...Twice)
    OMG I sold my computer... Using my GFs. E4300 on a P5NSLI. NON E version. Yeah, that means it's the one that literally can't do a 10mhz OC. (9Mhz worked... for a while).

Re: Project "Sneaky Beast"

Quote Originally Posted by magicman
    As you can guess I'm trying to build a system that without any details sounds mediocore...

But as the parts list biulds up, that's looking harder and harder to do...

so far this is what I got in mind...

Pentium M dothan 1.8Ghz
    Asus CT-479 socket converter
    Asus S478 mobo w/ PCIe (model depends on prices and availability)
    ATI X8xx series card either Pro or XT (X800 or X850)
    40GB Maxtor Ultra ATA 133 8MB cache 7200RPM IDE drive
    Zalman CNPS9500 HSF w/ TT thunderblade 78CFM fan as rear exhaust
    1GB of OCZ PC3700,4000 or 4200

but the kicker is it's goin into a POS hastily customized case (total hack job for front intake, 120mm rear exhaust, and 80mm side intake... IT'S SOOOOOOO BAD)
    What's a POS case? Barebone? It's gonna be a nice gaming rig for sure , which I guess is the case. Might want a little more storage though! Be sure to take pictures :twisted:
    Open Source > *

Just make sure to check if the CT-479 has support for the mainboard you want, but I don't think there is socket 478-boards with PCIe ?

//Andeas
    "I'm sort of a postmodern vegetarian, I eat meat ironically"
    "You are our Swedish superhero "

Forget everything, knowledge is your enemy, it's only going to make you second-guess yourself."

the case is a Piece Of Shit... one of those $30 cases that come with a 350W psu... Total Crap, hidious.

My buddy may be lettin me have his softmodded X800 XT (formerly a Pro) but it's AGP, so it may be a P4P800 SE.
    If not I'm gonna try and get my hands on a Asus P4GD1 mobo...

Socket 478, DDR1, PCIe, 915 chipset, supported by CT-479
    OMG I sold my computer... Using my GFs. E4300 on a P5NSLI. NON E version. Yeah, that means it's the one that literally can't do a 10mhz OC. (9Mhz worked... for a while).

you guys know of anyone who's gotten 3ghz out of the dothans?

I belive both ASUS and Gigabyte have atleast one MB each that is Socket 478 and have PCI-E.
    [Play:ASUS P4S800-MX SE||P4 2.4GHz@2.6GHz||2048MB PC3200||Radeon X1600Pro 256MB||500GB HD][Server:ASUS CUSL2-C||Celeron 800Mhz||384MB PC133||ATI 3D Rage 128bit||540GB HD]

Quote Originally Posted by magicman
    you guys know of anyone who's gotten 3ghz out of the dothans?
    I know of 1.5GHz Celeron Ms going past 3GHz, but with Dothans I'm not sure

//Andreas

Forget everything, knowledge is your enemy, it's only going to make you second-guess yourself."

So I just won the bidding on a Pentium M 1.8GHz dothan...

just need board, ram, vid... then I'll be set...

Chip is in, I should be getting the board in a couple days... And it may find itself in a friends old Centurion 5 Case now...

The chip is installed but let me tell you it was no picnic. I had to modify both the power cable and plug on the CT-479. And the braces are installed upside down with one side of the bracket jammed under a brace and the other screwed in.

The HSF is sitting twisted on the chip, but that's okay. And it's about 1% off level... but it's working. And that's what counts.

Yikes, doesn't sound all that fun :-?

Hope overclocks as expected still.
    //Andreas

after I got Asus probe installed, it read the chip as running at 57C. So I restarted the system and went into the bios. The bios read it as 86C so I turned it off.

I'm assuming that since the chip is not built for that board and the socket converter is there that it may not be accurate. However, in case it is, I'm gonna try to reseat the heatsink this afternoon.

So I got it all set up, and it seemed to max out at 2400

So that's all well and good, not what I was hoping for... So I'm selling it, at a profit, and pickin up a 740 533FSB chip that should do a little better... Probably take about 1.5 Weeks to get here...

Ok, I'm guessing if you wanna reach those really high scores you probably need a native Pentium M-board, but those cost quite a bit.

//Andreas

from what I read the Asus boards actually seem to be better... especially when cost is considered...

The native boards don't seem to be engineered with OC'ing in mind at all... Well maybe the DFI... cause DFI rules... but for a mATX board, I'm not spending that much cash...

Plus the Asus board are all mod friendly