+ Reply to Thread

Lag problem with Router and modem!

I have lag problem when i use my router (Asus wl500g deluxe) and my modem (Zyxel 660h-D1). If i unplugg the router and only use the modem the problem dissapears. Ive tried with several router and modem and upgraded the firmwares and made factory resets. But it only works when i use the modem only. Anyone who has some clues?

Best regards Theatre

If the problem happens when you play games, you probably don't have the right ports forwarded.

THIS site will help you setup the router properly. I've already taken you to the right model, just pick your game and it will walk you through the setup.
    OMG I sold my computer... Using my GFs. E4300 on a P5NSLI. NON E version. Yeah, that means it's the one that literally can't do a 10mhz OC. (9Mhz worked... for a while).

I could be the port forwarding, but otherwise there is (more or less) always a small lag when using a router.
    Some routers pride themselves with minimal lag, unfortunately the wl500g deluxe isn't one of them (as far as I know).

The lag aside, what do you think of it? I've been thinking of getting one.

//Andreas
    "I'm sort of a postmodern vegetarian, I eat meat ironically"
    "You are our Swedish superhero "

Forget everything, knowledge is your enemy, it's only going to make you second-guess yourself."

its a very good router.. i recomand it. but i solved the problem building a smoothwall. it is very strange though.. why all other routers have failed the smoothwall succeded..

magicman... i have this problem all the time. http, ftp, it is a TCP/IP lag.. its not only when i play games... as i said. the smoothwall solved the problem. but i still wonder why i cant use a regular router. it is not a port forwarding problem.

Well, as long as you fixed it.

And Delph, I just got the Dlink Xtreme N Gigabit Router, and it's amazing. Even with firmware 1.02A . And I got it on sale for $99, $100 off! (Now it's only $139 normally)
    OMG I sold my computer... Using my GFs. E4300 on a P5NSLI. NON E version. Yeah, that means it's the one that literally can't do a 10mhz OC. (9Mhz worked... for a while).

ofc... but i still need to know why it didnt work with a regular router...

Could be that the router hardware simply isn't fast/good enough. I know that are many out there having the same problem. Sometimes new firmwares can fix it, sometimes not.

In your case when you've tried a number of different routers, maybe you try a different modem to combine with the router?

//Andreas
    "I'm sort of a postmodern vegetarian, I eat meat ironically"
    "You are our Swedish superhero "

Forget everything, knowledge is your enemy, it's only going to make you second-guess yourself."

I've tried 3 diffrent modems too.. so i´m clueless. The thing is what does the smoothwall do or not do diffrent from a router.