+ Reply to Thread

Pro Evolution Soccer 2008

I decided to pick the game up when I was at the store (yes our super markets have the latest video games).

I had tried on the PC, but since my new computer is still missing a few pieces I had to play it on my current PC and it didn't quite flow the way it should.
    And I prefer playing on the PS3, I decided to get the PS3 version instead.

It has pretty much the same modes as PES 2007; Exhibition, Master League. League, Cup, Edit, Network, System Settings.

Master League is of course the most interesting of them where you can choose to play with any team and see the players evolve or in the case of Maniche and other oldies, devolve. You can also create a whole new team with the standard Master League players or your own players.

League and Cup let you choose between any team from the major leagues and a roundup of the top teams from many of the remaining European leagues, and to some extent American, African(?) and Asian leagues.

Haven't tried Network yet because Konami is doing maintenance work on the PS3 servers. until Nov 1st.

Never mind the modes now, when it comes to PES it's really all about the game play.
    When I upgraded from 2006 to 2007 I found the new physique of the players to be a bit disturbing in the beginning. They behaved very naturally when running into each other and that was a real pain to begin with because soccer players (in games) haven't really done that before. In 2008 they behave even better, which just makes more sense now.
    The ball also behaves a lot more natural with higher bounces and trickier ball control.
    It's harder to sprint past the defenders, but then it was a bit too easy in 2007. The speedy players with driblling skills still have the advantage (like in real life), if you combine them with good passers. Just running won't get you far. The muscular power-forwards like Toni and Koller work too though, you need someone like Materazzi or Majstorvic to come and kick them in the back when they have ball.

The referee has a whistle for starting and stopping the game play and so forth. The goalies behaves more natural with reflex saves and overall better movement.

Playing a game is starting to get eerily alike playing an actual game of soccer.

Oh yea, and you can make the players throw themselves if you're in a tight struggle and about to loose it. However this will usually result in a yellow card for throwing yourself to the ground, than a free kick in your advantage.

PES 2007 also had a bit too large players to be honest, and this has been corrected in 2008 so they are in better correlation with the size of the field.

Overall 2008 is actually even better than PES 2007, which in my humble opinion makes the best soccer game out there. I've never card much for the FIFA series because of it's lackluster game play, even though it took a big step up with the last version it's still far behind that of the PES series.

//Andreas
    "I'm sort of a postmodern vegetarian, I eat meat ironically"
    "You are our Swedish superhero "

Forget everything, knowledge is your enemy, it's only going to make you second-guess yourself."

So, is it like PES6, you can play online cross-platforms?

I played PES6 a bit, it's good, but there's almost too much to do.
    Man, or woman, or both?
    Grandis spiritus, sanctus diavolos

Highly recommended

//Andreas

Forget everything, knowledge is your enemy, it's only going to make you second-guess yourself."

I haven't played a soccer game in a long time, I bet it really does look/feel so good its eeire

In-game:

A couple of videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnoQgcX1POQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBWLwULuRAA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8yugGFgxBo

PES vs FIFA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_Yt6fKViKg

//Andreas

Not bad. Good thing the spectators are animated as well, I thought they were ugly as heck in PES6.
    Man, or woman, or both?
    Grandis spiritus, sanctus diavolos