+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My new car! (?)

My new car! (?)

So, I'm approved for my loan.

Winter is here, so the bike is away.

Looking for a car.

Budget is only about $8K (plus insurance, registration, etc.)

So, I've discovered my options are quite limited.

If I go North American, it's a cavalier, sunfire, or PT crapster. Yeah right .

Japanese, gets me a Civic w/150K, auto, w/cloth interior. Boo.

So, I've found another couple of options...

Volkswagen: TDI Golf/Jetta... Okay, smart, economical, only problem is they all have over 210K in my budget! :x

But. I think I've got it.

1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro.:P
    Black. Leather. Loaded (EVERYTHING). 5 speed manual.
    170,000KM
    $6890

What do you think?
    OMG I sold my computer... Using my GFs. E4300 on a P5NSLI. NON E version. Yeah, that means it's the one that literally can't do a 10mhz OC. (9Mhz worked... for a while).

Well you won't get much protest here. Really like the Audio Quattros.

Rather fun to drive and if you haven't sat in one before you're probably in for a treat (at least budget-wise)

I'd definitely consider it.

//Andreas
    "I'm sort of a postmodern vegetarian, I eat meat ironically"
    "You are our Swedish superhero "

Forget everything, knowledge is your enemy, it's only going to make you second-guess yourself."

The only bad thing about cars like that are the repair bills, but I suppose nowadays I'm a bit conservative when it comes to automobiles.

Also, thats a lot of mileage on that car.

The mileage is high and the Quattros used to be rather expensive to repair, but since this is a pre-2000 card it shouldn't be that bad anymore.

//Andreas

Forget everything, knowledge is your enemy, it's only going to make you second-guess yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by Delph1
    The mileage is high and the Quattros used to be rather expensive to repair, but since this is a pre-2000 card it shouldn't be that bad anymore.

//Andreas
    Geek.

Nice find, the 1.8T engines are quite nippy as well. I sure hadn't expected to see an Audi in Canada either.

Btw, isn't there a Silvia in the top left corner of your image?
    Man, or woman, or both?
    Grandis spiritus, sanctus diavolos

Keep in mind that is Kilometers, not Miles.

Most of the other A4's around (in my budget) have upwards of 230K, and one, for $500 less has 365K.

The ABS light was on, so I asked and the salesman said the sensor was gone.

Wrong.

The ABS didn't work as we found ourselves sidways after locking up (testing the car, on the testdrive). So it's going to the audi dealer to get checked out first thing in the morning.

My final price will vary, depending on what the problem is. I can get it now, as is, for only $6k. But I told him I'd rather have it fixed and pay the whole thing... We'll see tomorrow.

I put a down payment on it anyway. She shall be mine. :twisted:
    OMG I sold my computer... Using my GFs. E4300 on a P5NSLI. NON E version. Yeah, that means it's the one that literally can't do a 10mhz OC. (9Mhz worked... for a while).

Sweeeeet

//Andreas

Well, my good old catalytic converter wanted to throw in a few days ago... So I guess I'll be getting rid of my old piece of shit Peugeot 205 XL which had 60 ponies back in 1991 (probably around 45 of them left). The repair alone costs 4000SEK, and it really isn't worth it as the car itself cost me around 10k SEK last winter. So this means new car for me as well.

This'll be my new if everything goes well:

You just gotta love 130bhp on 880kgs. I've been dreaming of a 205 GTI for a few years now.
    Man, or woman, or both?

Don't mean to hijack the thread or anything, but I ended up buying the very 205GTI above. It has the probably hardest clutch ever with like 2" of travel in total, making it a total gear scrape fest every ride if you're not careful enough. Its suspension is stiff like hell as well, you feel exactly what's going on beneath you, and with this comes the huge feeling of speed; 70kph with this one feels like 120 with my old 205. It's going to be a fun winter...
    Man, or woman, or both?

My Audi is similar.

Although there is like a foot and a half of travel on the clutch, it only grabs in the last inch or so.

My suspension is also firm, but in a comfortable, very sporty way. The feeling of grip is immense. This car in particular gives you such confidence in the corners, it'll probably end up getting me into trouble.

With only the 5 speed, it's around 3K RPM on the highway, so with the sound, and the turbo in it's range, it feels and responds very well. In kind of a good way, it also makes you feel like you're going faster than you are.

My turn

Just bought an Isuzu Rodeo 4x4

I had an old Mazda b2600 that needed a new transfer case, which I was going to replace, but the engine gave out in it and started knocking like crazy so I traded it towards the Isuzu. I was very rough on the Mazda off-roading, so it didn't surprise me much.

I'm sooo gonna move to Sweden and get a cheap car soon

Quote Originally Posted by xt0m
    I'm sooo gonna move to Sweden and get a cheap car soon
    Haha, yeah, I have a few danish channels... I saw the ad for the Nissan Qashqai a while back, that little piece of shit cost like 400k DKK? In Sweden it costs like 120k SEK, what's even better is that the swedish crown is worth less than the danish.

But... What does the fuel cost down in your flat little country?
    Man, or woman, or both?