+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

When I found NH...

OMG I sold my computer... Using my GFs. E4300 on a P5NSLI. NON E version. Yeah, that means it's the one that literally can't do a 10mhz OC. (9Mhz worked... for a while).

Oh, God, I had almost repressed that

That's about 3 months after I joined ...

//Andreas
    "I'm sort of a postmodern vegetarian, I eat meat ironically"
    "You are our Swedish superhero "

Forget everything, knowledge is your enemy, it's only going to make you second-guess yourself."

"Gigantic harddrives in the future"

Hehe...

Things were a real mess back then...

I'll see if I can't find the time to tell you what really happened

//Andreas

Forget everything, knowledge is your enemy, it's only going to make you second-guess yourself."

I totally wanted that Resorator. I think a week or so on either side, there was a big X800 review. I did get one of those.

Now that I know there is a story, I'd love to hear it.
    OMG I sold my computer... Using my GFs. E4300 on a P5NSLI. NON E version. Yeah, that means it's the one that literally can't do a 10mhz OC. (9Mhz worked... for a while).

I applied in December 2003 to become a translator. Mainly because I had a lot of free time and I wanted some time to work on my English, I was studying C level English (A is mandatory, natural science and other larger branches of the study system has B, C is something you have to apply for and eventually get in) and just wanted to get some real world use of it. I didn't feel like the exercises and lessons gave me much actual feedback.

I applied and got in. Or we started as a group of 7-8 people that had to "compete" for a number of slots, we didn't know how many. They simply raced us against each other and even though this resulted in a lot of work being done, the quality suffered. We mainly translated articles, but it was the same with the news. I passed, well we all did. The only guys left from that period is me, fackamato and Wingdings. You rarely see them as active here or over at the Swedish forum. They mainly work behind the scenes. The rest of the guys left NH at a critical stage. I'm getting to that later.

The two guys who were running the English section of NordicHardware had a hidden motive with this recruitment. They hoped to find someone who could take their place because they wanted to move on and do their own thing. After three months, they made it clear that one of them wanted to move on and that they wanted me to fill in for him. The problem was that I wasn't interested. I was doing this because I had free time and wanted to work on my English, they were asking me to take over. This was my last semester at "high school" level, or whatever the equivalent might be, and in fall I was about to start my university studies. I didn't think I would have any time to run the site.

They didn't listen.

More and more work ended up in my lap and I was facing a dilemma. Either I do it and save all of the previous work I've put into the site, or I let it all fall to pieces and move on.

People had been dropping out one by one and in April or so, I never heard from the other guy again. Up till this point I had had no contact whatsoever with the guys running the Swedish section. The two sites were run as two completely separate sites. They just had the same content, but the editorial offices were divided and had no knowledge of what the rest was doing. Only the bosses knew what was going on. This was very frustrating for us who did all of the practical work.

In May, the site was starting to collapse. There were literally no people left and over the summer there were four people all in all and very little content being published. July 20th (I remember the date quite clearly) I get a phone call from the one guy who remained active, saying that they wanted to move on now and do their own thing. He sent over everything I needed to run the site and just left me like that. He also sent me the contact information to Henrik (CEO) and Anton, editor in chief at NH.se, and just left me with a broken site. No staff, no running content, nothing.

In less than a month I had to move 5 hours south and start studying at the university. I was working full time at a summer job.

So I decided to talk to Anton and Henrik a bit to find out who the hell they were and what they did. We talked a bit and apparently, the previous guys had told them they had found a replacement for them even though I had never accepted...

So what do I do now? I have a site I've put down hundreds of hours into with no staff and no running content. I had to think about it for long before making a decision.

I eventually decided that I would try to save what could be saved and try find a replacement for me. A stillborn attempt it would turn out to be. I did manage to recruit some good people, whereof several are still more or less active. I continued to work on the site, but with the university studies I didn't have much time to consider quality or anything even remotely similar to it. Just keep the site alive for the moment.

In December I finally manage to convince our sysadmin to convert the new design the Swedish had to the .com section. The site went down for more than a month. In the middle of Winter when the visitors usually peak...

Eventually it all came together, but some features had to wait and I was promised they would be added later on. That never happened. Performance Center being the most obvious. I got so frustrated by that.

I also decided to trash the whole idea of two sites. The idea simply sucked. NordicHardware is one site and should be run with one editorial office. Knowing exactly how frustrating it is to be left out of the loop, I decided to always play with all cards on the table. No secrets about development of the site or what's going on in general. If you decide to sacrifice your free time to help us out, you deserve to know what's going on. It has paid off.

Eventually I grew into the role of running the site. It more or less became a part of my day. I couldn't practice martial arts for a year or so because of an injured knee so I had a lot of free time. Unfortunately most of the time was spent maintaining and fixing bugs. The conversion was far from 100% successful, I still find bugs and errors, and there are several I'm aware of that haven't been fixed yet, but they won't affect you, so I haven't bothered.

People have a tendency to drop off slowly, it's just the way of life.

I applied for more people (and we're actually going to do the same soon) and got some more translators.

Eventually I got up to speed with the bug fixes and maintenance and could start focus on a problem that has started to get out of hand: quality. Hopefully, things have gotten better over time. When I go back and look at the old news and articles I feel awful that this was published, but at the time, there was not much of a choice. The content is being edited retroactively, bit by bit, but it's not a priority.

If you're wondering what the two guys went off doing, they're now running the Swedish section of THG. The site has still failed to make any major impact on the Swedish market. There are five computer/IT sites in Sweden which matters: Datormagazin, Sweclockers, IDG, Techsweden, NordicHardware. This is a quite rigid setup and they all have their own followers. It's hard trying to break into the market and I can't really say that they have managed to do that.

When I go back and study how the visitors and hits have increased since the site was relaunched and upgraded with better quality content I can see a quite steady rise. I still do actually.

But after I finally decided to keep running the site I decided that the goal was never to become the biggest or most popular site. I thought about it and I wanted to run I site that I wanted to visit. A site where people would come to read news about latest computer hardware, released or not doesn't matter. And if there were rumors going around I sure as hell want to hear them.

I hope I got everything in there.

//Andreas

Great read there. I actually didn't really know that much about NH.com and how things were in the past, considering I'm pretty new to the crew (one and half year, is it? Or is it two and a half by now?). All I know that it's pretty hardcore as it is now, but that's probably because there's like five people active at the forums right now.
    Man, or woman, or both?
    Grandis spiritus, sanctus diavolos

The forum was more active back then, but I'm not sure if it was for the better.

//Andreas

Well, it appears that I played my role aswell. Maybe only for a few months, but during that time of low quality you mentioned, that's where I stepped up.

I had gotten tired of the "Swenglish" as I like to refer to it, so I started editing the articles. Being first language english certainly helped. Occasionally, I'd find entire Swedish paragraphs that either hadn't been translated, or hadn't been deleted.

I also started getting busier in my personal life, and eventually it all kind of fell away, but I always made time to check the site, and obviously take part in the forum.

When ppl ask me what I'm writing in the forums (3rd party observers in the room), I normally just reply that I'm chatting with my Swedish friends. Awww.

It would be nice to get more traffic, and more people in the forums, but I'd rather have 5 cool people to chat with than 15000 idiots (*cough* anandtech *cough*).

A question never goes unanswered here. I dare you to count the single post threads on the other major forums. This may be a small community, but I'm glad to be part of it.

Couldn't agree more with you, magicman. It's a friendly atmosphere as well, that's the most important part. It's something that gets fucked up with time and more users, I don't know why it happens, the more people the bitchier they get.

To be honest, that swenglish part is still there from time to time, but at least it's gotten better lately.
    Man, or woman, or both?
    Grandis spiritus, sanctus diavolos

Actually traffic has increased a lot, but it's quite limited to the main page.

And to be honest, I'm against "forum competitions" and other spam festivals I've seen at other sites. I want people to register spontaneously and do it because they want to become a member, not because they win a prize by doing so.

//Andreas

I still say, you need a MUCH bigger "forum" button.

Quote Originally Posted by magicman
    I still say, you need a MUCH bigger "forum" button.
    You know what ... I'm having a designer making a button for the PC Building Guide, I can tell him to fix a forum button at the same time.

//Andreas

Yeah, I just saw that there... That's wicked. Kinda funny, I've been wondering what that "Datorbyggarskolan" ad was for... Normally if a Swedish ad gets posted, it would atleast have pictures...

I was just guessing it was for a LAN or something... LOL

But, increasing the size of the forum button (which we have discussed previously, probably in the feedback section) would definatly help.

If you do that you should also stylize the "Comment" button at the bottom of your news posts, to help guide people into the forum. In case they are distracted by all the pretty pictures on the main page, and miss your new button.

Are we getting a new forum button? :mrgreen:

Awesome post, Master Chief Delph1. I too remember those times... man did we work hard back then, just to have our chiefs leave on us. :?

Things are a lot better now, but there's always room for improvement, as everywhere.

Open Source > *